Supervisory Management Skills Program
Increase Your Value and Potential as a Business Professional
Enhancing the performance of Supervisors improves the performance of the entire team.
The Supervisory Management Skills Program (SMSP) is an interactive and collaborative learning experience which brings together supervisors from a variety of organization and sectors. Participants learn practical skills and theory from each instructor, who is a subject matter expert, and gain valuable insight from networking and sharing experiences with fellow participants.
The Supervisory Management Skills Program teaches the essential knowledge, skills, abilities and behaviours to enhance supervisory and management competencies. Participants will learn principles which may be applied in both public and private sector organizations and across all industry sectors.
The program includes three, five-days modules. To learn about each module please click on its title below or access module information in the top menu.
Functional Responsibilities of the Supervisor
The Functional Responsibilities of the Supervisor module is built around five core topic areas:
- Role of the Supervisor enhances the participants’ knowledge of the specific role the supervisor plays in an organization and helps develop a personal plan for becoming a more effective supervisor.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making explores the parameters of effective and ineffective problem solving and decision making. Participants will explore decision making styles and learn a five-step model to guide the problem-solving and decision-making process.
- Leading a Multigenerational Workforce explains the differences in major generational groups and their values. Participants will learn how to manage employees according to their generational differences.
- Managing Ethics and Values teaches participants how to integrate ethics into everyday management practices. Participants will learn how to tailor internal processes to help manage ethics, compliance and codes of conduct within the organization.
- Managing Competing Priorities guides the participant through strategies for effective time management and priority setting.
Managing Employee Relations
- Conflict Management and Resolution explores the types of conflict encountered in the workplace and teaches strategies for effective conflict resolution.
- Leadership and Motivation defines leadership and guides the participant through the process of choosing a leadership style that is best matched to their organization and the employees they supervise.
- Interpersonal Negotiating teaches interpersonal skills that will make you a more effective negotiator, help you effectively resolve conflict in the workplace, and create win/win outcomes.
- Labour Relations explains the collective bargaining process, collective agreements, and the grievance and arbitration process. Participants will learn best practices in the labour relations field.
- Corrective Progressive Discipline teaches how to apply disciplinary sanctions in a unionized and non-unionized environment. Participants will learn the benefits of corrective progressive discipline along with the legal and financial considerations of implementing this approach.
Communications and Team Development
The Communications and Team Development module is built around five core topic areas of study:
- Working with Different Personalities uses the Myers-Brigg Type Indicator (MBTI) model to teach participants how to define personalities and adapt their supervisory style to match personalities when communicating, solving problems and making decisions.
- Building High-Performing Teams teaches participants how teams are defined and how to tailor their supervisory approach to foster more effective teams. Participants also learn essential behaviors for building cohesive teams and techniques to deal with dysfunctional teams.
- Organizational Communications and Meeting Management focuses on the essentials of verbal and non-verbal communications at all levels in the workplace. Participants will also learn meeting planning and management tools, meeting manners and protocols, and the roles of chairpersons versus participants.
- Performance Coaching and Development guides the participant through a step-by-step approach to employee coaching. Participants will learn the importance of formal versus informal coaching along with the essentials of performance feedback.
- Better Business Writing assesses individual writing style and teaches participants successful writing techniques. Participants will master the principles of good grammar, punctuation, word choice, and message tone.
The program instructors provide an interactive learning experience using group discussion, case studies, self-assessment activities, structured exercises, and skills practice to deliver module content.
“Through this program I learned a lot about myself and gained skills to become a better manager and team player in my company. The program honestly changed my perspective in so many aspects of my life!!”
- Alana Lee, Project Manager, BELFOR Property Restoration